Bienvenue dans notre phare-macie, l’apothicaire des collectionneurs
the-loire
Grand Charpentier Lighthouse

Grand Charpentier Lighthouse

The Grand-Charpentier lighthouse is an off-shore installation, 1.3 miles from Chémoulin point and its signaling post.

More details

mer879

8,52 €

Customer ratings and reviews

Nobody has posted a review yet
in this language
Rate / write a comment

Warning: Last items in stock!

Customers who bought this product also bought:

Collection: phares des Pays de Loire

Grand Charpentier lighthouse


Made of: Resin
Size: 13.0 x 8.0 x 7.0 cm

  • Locality : Saint-Nazaire, Loire-Atlantique
  • Construction : 1888
  • Height : 25.40 m
  • Elevation : 27.35 m
  • Range : 14  nm

 

The Grand-Charpentier lighthouse is an off-shore installation, 1.3 miles from Chémoulin point and its signaling post.
Situated on the rocky bed at Charpentiers, it marks the entance to the Loire estuary and the port of Saint-Nazaire, in Loire-Atlantique.

Since 1826, an iron marker buoy on the Charpentiers rocky shallows marks the entrance to the Loire. In 1850, a stone turret replaced it. This was rebuilt in 1877 following a violent storm. In 1887, it was once again destroyed.

In 1888, a cylindrical tower of 25 m was equipped with a light and bursts every 5 seconds with red, white and green filters. The light was extinguished during the war in 1939-45. It was relit in 13 August 1945. In 1954, an aerogenerator was added to charge the radio emission / recepteur batteries . In 1966, a submarine cable of 3000 W was laid to ensure the lights efficiency. In 1967, a helicopter pad was installed over the light housing.  It was pulled down in 1987. In 1969 the light was automated ; but keepers remained until 1972.

Built from 1884 to 1887, the current lighthouse is grey with green light. 

It is not open to the public.

Access is complicated : only a small dinghy can reach the tower before low tide by a small 56m long jetty.

Source: Phares et balises