Bienvenue dans notre phare-macie, l’apothicaire des collectionneurs
lighthouses-lower-normandy
Honfleur Lighthouse

Honfleur Lighthouse

Honfleur lighthouse, also called the Cliffs of the deep lighthouse or Butin lighthouse, is situated within the Honfleur distict in the  departement of Calvados, on the south bank of the esturary to the river Seine.

More details

mer839

5,88 €

Customer ratings and reviews

Nobody has posted a review yet
in this language
Rate / write a comment

Customers who bought this product also bought:

Collection: phares de Basse Normandie

Honfleur Lighthouse


Made of: Resin
Size: 10 x 5 x 5 cm

  • Location : Honfleur, Calvados
  • Construction : 1908
  • Height : 14.5 m
  • Elevation : 17.5 m
  • Reach : ?

 

IN 1853, an initial lighthouse called « Hôpital light » was built to compliment Fatouville lighthouse. It replaced an old wooden tower (called « fire tower ») allowing a lamp system installed by the Gaulle hydrographer de Gaulle, a marine  engineer (1732-1810). It was lit in 1857 and was in service until 1908 when the light was extinguished and dismantled . It is now the property of the town of  Honfleur.

In 1908 when Fatouville was decommisioned, a second tower was built to indicated the western approach to the port of Honfleur. It was equipped with a light with 2 eclipses every 8 seconds (3 white sections, 2 red sections and one green).  In 1933, it was electrified and upgraded to 2 eclipses /12 seconds (colour sections  : 3 white, 2 red, 1 green).

It extinguished during the war and relit in 1951.

Current lighthouse
The Honfleur lighthouse was modified after the war at the time the road was built.

It's a square stone faced white tower with granite quoin stones from Cherbourg. It was enhanced with a green light  and given the system used for the previous Hôpital lighthouse. It has a 3 eclipse /12 seconds (with coloured sections in white, red and green).

Source: wikipedia