Bienvenue dans notre phare-macie, l’apothicaire des collectionneurs
cote-dazur
Faraman Lighthouse

Faraman Lighthouse

Faraman lighthouse is positioned south East of the Camargue, about 10K from Salin-de-Giraud, on the left bank of the estuary mouth of the old Rhône.

More details

mer811

11,52 €

Customer ratings and reviews

Nobody has posted a review yet
in this language
Rate / write a comment

Customers who bought this product also bought:

Collection: phares de Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

Faraman Lighthouse


Made of: Resin
Size: 12.0 x 12.0 x 9.0 cm

  • Location : Arles, Bouches-du-Rhône
  • Construction : 1830 ,1840 & 1892
  • Height : 43.30 m
  • Elevation : 46.50 m
  • Range : 27.5 nm

 

Faraman lighthouse is positioned south East of the Camargue, about 10K from Salin-de-Giraud, on the left bank of the old Rhône estuary mouth.

The lighthouse is surrounded by ponds and marshland, saltmarsh to the west and then a sea wall before the ocean. This is the Camargue's regional natural park full of wild birds such as flamingo's which make it their home.

In 1830, an initial white light was set on a provisional tower made of wood about 15m high. In 1840, a permanent white light was installed on a cylindrical tower with solid base 36.5 meters high (38 m above sea level). But the sea encroaches severely over the sand barriers  : In 1835, the lighthouse was 675 m from the river, in 1841, it was no more than 420 m away. In 1860, the erosion and retreat of the coastline seemed to relent somewhat; the tower being about 250 m away from the sea and as few as 190 m in 1864. 

In 1868, a small white light was affixed to avoid confusion with the neighbouring lighthouse Espiguette. However navigational errors are numerous and Faraman is too often confused with Grand Rouveau light.

Feasibility studies for a further lighthouse were launched. The signal office build before this one was abandonned in 1873. In 1892, a lighthouse was built  1,200 m further back from the previous tower destroyed by the advancing sea.

The tower is a tronconic shape 46.5 meters above sea level. This one of the mediterranean's tallest lighthouses. It is a  stone construction, wider at the base with a corbelled balcony at the top.

In 1934, the smooth masonry was coated with 6 large bands , black white alternating. From 1947 to 1950, it underwent restoration due to damage sustained during WW2. In 1972, it was equipped with a windgenerator and automated.

In 1967 it was used as the location for the filming of Le Petit Baigneur (The little Bather) by Robert Dhéry with Louis de Funès

Today the lighthouse is powered by the national grid and is no longer manned.


Source: wikipedia